It is common in recent years to choose a word for the year. It has probably been popular for ages, but I have seen it in books, blogs, and heard it spoken about more often recently. I have been doing something similar with my mastermind team for the past eight years. We make contract statements. For example, "I am a Joyful, Positive, Forgiving Woman." We then sign our emails with these contracts: "Joyful, Positive, Forgiving Traci." Sometimes the words change throughout the year because we change or different circumstances arise, but often we pick themes for an entire year. One year I chose the word "positive." Up to that point I considered myself a natural pessimist, but I wanted to change my perspective and my life. One year of focus, working through a powerful book (The 4:8 Principle), and accepting feedback and challenge from my mastermind team changed my outlook. I, the eternal pessimist/realist, became a positive, glass-half-full kind of girl.
Simply saying the word over and over will not make it true. Like Steve Carell's morning ritual in Evan Almighty, "I am successful. I am powerful. I am handsome. I am happy." Yes, there is power in our words - what we speak, listen to, and believe. However, I also believe we must take action in order to develop these qualities or experience these life-changing words in our life.
If you already have a word, skip to the ACTION section, but if you don't have a word, would you consider choosing one for this year? If you want to take the journey and Be Extraordinary in this life, then internal change (which will turn into external change) must occur. No one has arrived. Here are a few suggestions for choosing your word:
- Think about who you want to become this year. What is one specific area you want to see more of in your life?
- Make sure your word is positive. Rather than "not being fearful," choose courageous, confident, or brave.
- Know what your word means to you. It doesn't really matter if others fully understand your word, but YOU must understand your word.
- Pray. If you have a relationship with God, ask Him. He wants you to grow, change, and Be Extraordinary too!
I look at these actions as ways to enhance your growth in your word. To really become - or take big strides in becoming - your word, there must be more than a morning ritual of repetition. Some action ideas:
- Write your word and put it in places you will see regularly. (bathroom mirror, refrigerator, car)
- Tell others your word. Make sure you tell people who love you and encourage you as you grow into your new word.
- Find a book. One of the most powerful things for me in becoming more positive was reading a book related to that topic (The 4:8 Principle). I actually read the book twice that year.
- Memorize a Bible verse. There are so many verses that relate to life and personal growth. Choose one of these verses and commit it to memory.
- Embrace your word. Choose to be your word. You may not have fully arrived, but you can still choose to take actions that make your word true. For example, if my word is healthy, then I can embrace a healthy lifestyle and do things that a healthy person would do even if I am not yet healthy.
I would love to know what your word is for this year. My word is HEAL and you can read more about it HERE. Would you please share your word in the comments below or in the comments on Facebook? Let's become more of who we were made to be, one word at a time!
(I’m Traci, the "Be Extraordinary!" blogger. I share insights that challenge and encourage moms to be the best version of themselves. To me, that’s an extraordinary life! Click HERE to receive blog updates and a free newsletter.)